Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

1st Grade Social Studies - Wants VS Needs

Hello Everyone! So I am a new upcoming teacher hoping to share my building experiences as a new teacher with you all! I will be doing my Student Teaching in the Fall of 2015. I will be taking my certification exam (EC-6 ESL) this summer! I'm becoming certified in the state of Texas. I have done field work in a 1st grade classroom and here is one of the lessons I did! This is a Social Studies lesson on Wants Vs Needs.


I started the lesson by asking students to name any thing or item. From there we would determine if it was a WANT or a NEED.

I handed each student two Post-Its. On one they were to write or draw something they believed was a WANT and on the other a NEED. This is where we clarified any misconceptions on WANTS VS NEEDS. 

After the above pre-reading activities, I read the book, The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! 
By: Mo Willems
Great book to use for Want VS. Needs lesson!

Here students demonstrated their new found knowledge on WANTS VS. NEEDS. They created a T-Chart and used newspaper advertisements to cut and paste onto their construction paper.

The students enjoyed this lesson and the post activity!!
Extensions to this lesson: Goods and Services, job VS. Play.




No comments:

Post a Comment